Re: Moving a PostgreSQL database from one server to another

Edward Croft wrote:
On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:28 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
<SNIP>
I guess I need a backup/restore or an export/import... but for some

I do this all the time. Postgres stores its data files
in /var/lib/pgsql/data by default. Stop the server on your laptop. This
will close the files. You can then copy that whole directory over. As
long as you install into the same directory, you should be able to just
restart postgres. You may need to make changes to the pg_hba.conf and
pg_ident.conf.

A couple of safety tips worth mentioning on the above procedure: 1. Make sure the directory/files on the new server are still owned by the database user -- usually postgres. 2. This will only work if the hardware architecture (i.e. i686 versus x86_64) and database version (e.g. 7.4.x) is the same on the two machines.

HTH,

Joe