Re: FC3 - i'm disapointed

Kiryl Hakhovich wrote:
| Hey guys,
| I have to post it.
|
| I have been using RH from RH 7.0
| And was pretty happy with.
|
| Then moved on to FC1 then FC2.... and now FC3.
|
| I hate to admit it but FC3 is really broken in general.
| I do not want to start a new flame thread but here is a several items i
| can assume lot's of them has to do with kernel 2.6:
|     - usb drivers - not stable
|     - network - same
|     - some applications compiled on the system - crashes
|     - certain kernel updates - make system not bootable
|     - Open Office tend to load memory to the point that machine need to
| be rebooted
|     and list grows on a daily basis which is really reminds me a windowZ
| and nothing close what it was in FC1  on the same hardware for example.
|
| I understand that this is probably inappropriate post, but i have been
| in pain since I moved to FC3.
|
| Does any one else experience as many problems as i do?

Kiryl,

I take exception with this not because of the fact that I am not
experiencing the same problems as you (with the exception of USB), but
because you did not read the disclaimer.

Redhat and Fedora projects make this point really clear, Fedora is
bleeding edge.  While it can be used in production, you can, and
probably should, expect a few issues.  The list of issues with vary with
your hardware.  Once Fedora Core 3 is fully stable, it will become RHEL4
and Fedora Core 4 will be out.

This is not a secret, it is right on the Fedora website.  If you are
complaining about stability, you are using the wrong product.

Now that being said, I find Fedora, with a few nagging issues, to be far
less trouble, far most stable, far easier to manage, and far easier to
find support for, than just about any other Linux distro I have ever
used.  But I read the disclaimer, and I expect problems at any time.  I
also know that I can post a message here, and find a solution, or at
least a work around, faster than I can get Microsoft Technical support
on the line (sometimes you don't get what you paid for, lol).

- --
Kevin Fries
Network Administrator
Hydrologic Consultants, Inc of Colorado