Re: FC3 - i'm disapointed

On Thursday 13 January 2005 19:11, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 12:01, Kiryl Hakhovich wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> > I have to post it.
> >
> > I have been using RH from RH 7.0
> > And was pretty happy with.
> >
> > Then moved on to FC1 then FC2.... and now FC3.
> >
> > I hate to admit it but FC3 is really broken in general.
> > I do not want to start a new flame thread but here is a several items i
> > can assume lot's of them has to do with kernel 2.6:
> > 	- usb drivers - not stable
> > 	- network - same
> > 	- some applications compiled on the system - crashes
> > 	- certain kernel updates - make system not bootable
> > 	- Open Office tend to load memory to the point that machine need to be
> > rebooted
> > 	and list grows on a daily basis which is really reminds me a windowZ
> > and nothing close what it was in FC1  on the same hardware for example.
> >
> > I understand that this is probably inappropriate post, but i have been
> > in pain since I moved to FC3.
> >
> > Does any one else experience as many problems as i do?
>
> I just loaded FC3 last night on my test system.  So far I have not had
> any problems but then I have not used it much yet.
>
> You should post specific problems you are having with each item you
> listed above.  Many of these appear familiar, I believe I have seen
> postings on them here on the mailing list.
>
> For example the Open Office problem.  A couple of months ago and again
> just this past week a change that reduces memory consumption is to
> comment out or remove languages used by the spell checker.  This seems
> to solve slowness problems primarily due to memory usage of that
> feature.  Also, why would have to reboot?  Kill the process, that should
> free up its resources.
>
> Not sure but the usb driver issues have been talked about a lot here.  I
> have ignored it mostly since I have not experienced those issues.  Was
> this the udev problem?  I think there was a solution.
>
> Not enough info on your network problems to guess at that.
>
> kernel update issues have also been discussed here.  You would need to
> supply specific info as to which kernel, hardware specs on the machine
> for someone to guess at what is going on.
>
> You would need to supply more info on the programs that you compiled
> that crashed.  Should be able to debug such an occurrence to determine
> what the root cause is.
>

> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Nondeterminism means never having to say you are wrong.

I must agree, I have applied several updates to my system including the latest
kernel from
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/

and I have no real issues, execpt for cdrom, but I changed the driver to
ide-scsi and update udev the system is as stable as one could wish for.
and I must say I am testing 33 systems right now for our company.

Maybe post the exact problems and we could probably have already fixed them
simply.

Good Luck

--
Chadley Wilson