Re: [Fedora] Re: Unable to boot my machine

Richard Crawford wrote:

Okay, I'll go crawl back into my hole now.

Earlier, I'd tried to create a boot floppy before reading the information that said that the FC3 kernel is too big to fit on a single floppy. Stupidly, I'd left that floppy in the floppy drive, and forgotten about it before rebooting the computer, but the BIOS still boots from the floppy after the CD-ROM drive but before the hard drive.

So I'm guessing it's time for me to get a brain transplant, and then go to bed. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth.

Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us. About ten years ago, I was working on two machine I had sitting in my office. Both identical boxes connected on a KVM, one mouse/keybd/monitor. Anyway, I needed to copy a file to a floppy for my then wife so in went a floppy and when I tried to mount it ... no go. So I tried another floppy, and another, and another. Nothing. By then I figured the floppy drive had gone bad, so I went out and bought a new one - back then they ran about $50 for a floppy drive.

I got home, removed the cover and replaced the drive. Hit the power switch and went to get a drink. When I returned, I was back at my prompt ... put a floppy disk in, hit mount and same deal. I got pissed off. So it's not the drive, and I can't have ALL my floppies go bad at once, so it's something else. I tore the damned machine apart, literally, piece by piece. The cat got locked in the bathroom because I didn't need him wandering over computer parts either.

Anyway, after a good 2 hours or so of ripping things apart and trying to figure out what in the world could be wrong, Wifey comes in, stands by the door and calmly asks: if you have that machine all spread on the floor there, with all the pieces taken apart .. how come you still have a prompt on your screen?

   You get the idea.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> . 303.442.6410 x130