Re: mplayer as dependency error

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:25:00 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Exactly that is the downside I see with populating this *example*
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
>
> file. People get it, use it as it is and even enable preset repositories
> because it is easy to do so.
> Don't get me wrong. I like the unofficial Fedora FAQ site much and your
> work. But the yum.conf there was never taken as an example file by the
> users.
> Maybe you should insert there a clear warning about consequences
> enabling all repositories in there. And a comment about choosing more
> local mirrors (i.e. European users should use European mirrors mainly).
> Although I fear commenting text is mostly ignored.
>
> Regards
>
> Alexander

If I am missing something please let me know but I use this "example"
conf on my own box.

I would never enable all these repos and took it as gentle gospel that
they were disabled by default for a damn good reason.

I have seen much worse example apt and yum confs where this was
certainly NOT the case and all kinds of interesting things were
enabled that really should not have.

Ok, what is my long-winded point?  I thought this was a great example
conf  because it did NOT enable freshrpms atrpms and dag by default
and posted examples of the judicious use of enablerepo for singular
apps the user might want.