Re: Firefox performs bad (too slow)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:50:59 +0000, jbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that there was a posting in the past regarding the use of IPV6 in
> Mozilla/firefox and instructions on how to turn it off.  This is the new
> networking scheme for the internet that is not supported everywhere.  By
> default, this was turned on and resulted in FF trying the ipv6 mechanism first,
> failing, and then switching to ipv4...  See if you can search out the details on
> the archives, etc..
>

> > Edward Yang ha scritto / wrote  il / on 10/01/2005 12:34:
> >
> > > I think Firefox is very slow running on FC3. I don't think it's this
> > > slow when I was using FC1. I don't know what is causing this slowness.
> > > Is it Mozilla part or simply is FC3 creating new problems on its
> > > invention road?
> > >
> > > Does anyone else have same experience?
> >
> > It works fine on both my systems..
> >
> > --
> >  Antonio
> >  Working with Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Linux Fedora Core 3

You're in luck.  Someone in my local LUG posted this on the other day.
 Works wonders.

<paste>

   1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and
look for the following entries:

   network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

   Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When
you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up
page loading.

   2. Alter the entries as follows:

   Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

   Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

   Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This
means it will make 30 requests at once.

   3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it
"nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the
amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

   If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

ForeverGeek URL:   http://forevergeek.com/open_source/make_firefox_faster.php

Cheers
Marc