Re: how do I copy from server to server

If you need to copy a bunch of stuff *and* keep your permissions you can do something like

tar czf - /files/I/want/to/back/up/* | ssh -l root -c "(cd /new/location/for/files && tar -xf - )"

Basically you are creating a tar file and outputting it to STDOUT which is piped to STDIN of an ssh session which sends it to STDIN of a tar process running on the other machine.

-Matt