Re: A bash script

Chadley Wilson wrote:
Greetings
I am about to start a script for installing a couple of updates and I got this far :

#!/bin/sh

echo "Starting install process ;-)"
pwd

Now the very first thing i need, is a thing I can't do ha ha!

The script will run from a folder probably called "updates"
What I have never worked out was how to make the current working dir a variable for this. As this folder could be copied anywhere in the file system!
so the script will have to work regardless of what the absolute path is. Endusers can be stupid you know and make 10 copies of the folder before getting the updates folder into the correct one.

I figured I would need to put in  a pwd command.

but how do you make the script recognise the pwd output as a variable?

Is there a simple example I cam work from?

This is a very elementary scripting question. Try the tutorial at http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/unix/bash-tute.html. I'm sure others will mention other good scripting guides too.

What you're after is called command substitution, and you can do it like this:

# Set variable $updatedir to current directory
updatedir=$(pwd)

Paul.