Re: HP notebook wireless networking

James Mounts wrote:

Neal D. Becker wrote:

I'm about to order a hp amd64 notebook zv5000z series.  There are 2 choices
for wireless, but not much info on what the chipsets are.  Anyone know if
there is any problem with FC3 on this machine?

Networking choices are:

1) 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM) 2) 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth

Neal: I'd vote against the Broadcom board. Broadcom refuses to create a Linux driver, so you're stuck with ndiswrapper to get it to go.
[...]
The SpeedBooster sounds like a Linksys card.

Actually, they're both Broadcom. They use "54g" as a kind of brand name (hence the (TM)). Their web site is http://www.54g.com.

My hp zv5xxx probably has option 2. I had trouble with ndiswrapper, so I went and forked over the cash for the Linuxant driver, and it works pretty well with both 802.11b and 802.11g, and both WEP and WPA. I have an Intel processor, though, so your story may end up differently.

Rich

--
From the Notebook of Rich Renomeron
A friend is someone who likes you even after they know you.