Re: Postfix/Dovecot/Procmail/Maildir

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:57:31AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Sadly, not so. What character to you see at the the front of this next line?
> > >From is used as the delimiter in mbox.
>
> There is a blank line past the end of the previous messge; the current
> message starts with
> From

Clearly it got mangled at some step along the way, because look in the
quoted lines above -- there's an extra >.

And same here:

> > And it can't tell the difference between From to start a new message and
> > >From because I happened to start a line that way. And worse, this mangling
> > is irreversible -- it's very possible that a quoted line in the body

[...]

> Text has always been subject to various transformations by email
> transports.  That's one of them. If you need to avoid transformations
> there have been various means of encoding available for nearly as
> many years as email has existed.

This isn't encoding; it's mangling. And it should be stopped. And stopping
using mbox is the way to stop it.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>