Re: Kernel Sources

Chadley Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 05 January 2005 14:22, Markku Kolkka wrote:

Chadley Wilson kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 5.

tammikuuta 2005 06:25):

4. In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific
kernels shipped in Fedora Core 3 are in the /configs/
directory. For example, the i686 SMP configuration file is
named /configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the
following command to place the desired configuration file
in the proper place for building:

cp <desired-file> ./.config

Which directory am I supposed to be in when I run this command?

The base of the unpacked kernel source tree created by the rpmbuild command in step 3, just as the instructions say ("In the resulting tree..."). Did you perform step 3? Without any errors?

Well I have never ever done this, I am following the release
notes way, thats all. I am not recompiling the kernel and am
not doing anything custom. So in the perfect world situation
here which file would you copy?

The file from the configs directory that is right for your desired kernel architecture. I'm not telepathic, so I don't know which one is right for you.

Give me some Idea as what it is I am supposed to copy, for all
I know I must put a pdf file in configs directory.

You don't _put_ anything in the configs directory, you copy a file _from_ the configs directory as the file ".config" in the base of the kernel tree.

Please
understand I haven't got a clue as to what is meant by "cp
<desired-file>"

You should know the basics of Linux/Unix command line use before trying to build a kernel.

Look I apologise for my tone, I simply do not understand what the release notes are getting at. I am sure when I get it right it will seem stupid to me too.

I have a good command line background, but I have never needed to create my kernel tree. I have never even needed to recompile a kernel either, so understanding where to put things related to the kernel is obviously something I need to learn.
The only thing I use it for is modem drivers, which always ask for the sources.

I get up to step three with no errors, in step three it tells me which directory I should be in. however step four does not say if I must change directories or not, Since I am using the the stock 2.6.9-1.667 i686 kernel src, there must be a proceedure for doing this step by step, I can't see how a standard install on my PC will differ from anyone else's PC with a standard install. So even if you have a i586 kernel and I have an i686 kernel I am (believe it or not) smart enough to know that I am to replace your i586 with my i686.

So all I need to learn how to do, is install the kernel source tree as it was in the past with FC1 and 2 , the sources where in /usr/src/linux and where installed from the kernel-sources rpm, which is no longer available.

So in a nut shell step 1
download the kernel src rpm (done no errors)
step2 install the kernel-<version>.src.rpm (done no errors)
step 3 cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ and run rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec (done no errors)

[root@check39 SPECS]# uname -a
Linux check39.teq.pinteq 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@check39 chadley]# rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
   1:kernel                 ########################################### [100%]
[root@check39 chadley]# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
[root@check39 SPECS]# rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
Building target platforms: i686
Building for target i686
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.21838
+ umask 022

<snipped lots of output>

+ find . -name '*~' -exec rm -fv '{}' ';'
+ exit 0
[root@check39 SPECS]#

step4 [root@check39 SPECS]# cd ../BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/configs/
[root@check39 configs]# ls
kernel-2.6.9-i586.config kernel-2.6.9-i586-smp.config kernel-2.6.9-i686.config kernel-2.6.9-i686-smp.config
[root@check39 configs]#

The config I need is the kernel-2.6.9-i686.config which I must copy to somewhere as .config The question now is where.
I do not have a /usr/src/linux directory must I create one or is this different? Does it exist somewhere else or is it called something else!
locate does not find it either, I have run updatedb too.

The source you're looking for is now in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9 rather than /usr/src.

This is where the rpmbuild command extracted the RPM contents to.

Paul.