Re: Mobo Compatability

On 01/03/2005 10:42:32 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Ric Tibbetts wrote:

> How is the SATA RAID compatability?

I hope it's better now than it was 6 months ago when I last tried. It
was pathetic. From what I've read since, it will be a long time before
it becomes good.

If I'm not mistaken, most SATA raid chips are really a psudo software raid, done with the driver - and will never be as good as true hardware raid.

IE if you want raid, use a real raid controller, like what 3Ware offers (or a SCSI raid controller)

If software raid is good enough, use the kernel software raid rather than a kludge device made for marketing buzzword purposes.

Please someone correct me if my understanding of SATA raid is incorrect.