Re: how to configure laptop monitor correctly

T.Q Publications said about how to configure laptop monitor correctly:

>i am having problems configuring the laptop. I have a HP laptop. the only selection allowed in setup >was "unprobed" monitor. It used 2/3 of the screen. I reload the software and now i get 1/2 of the screen. a small >square... is there a way to do this manually or am i making this harder than it actually is?

You have two choices when configuring your laptop monitor:

1.  Select Unknown LCD Monitor from the dropdown menu when installing Fedora.  My monitor is 1600x1200 and that is what I selected.  I had to edit the xorg.conf file to add 24 color depth as the default depths available for the Unknown or Undetected LCD monitor are 16, 8 and 4.  This can also be accomplished by switching to init level 3 and rediscovering your video system.
2.  Edit the xorg.conf file and change the v sync and h sync values to match that of your LCD panel.  You may be able to obtain this information from HP's web site.

As always, make a known good backup to the xorg.conf file before editing it.

Good luck with your laptop.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!