Re: geeky question on read/unread mail

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Dietrich" <td@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 4:10 AM
Subject: Re: geeky question on read/unread mail

On Monday 03 Jan 2005 04:08, Globe Trotter wrote:
Hi,

How do all these mailers tell whether an e-mail has actually been read or
not? By that, I mean, how does pine (or sylpheed or whatever) find out if
an e-mail has actually been read? Please note that I am not asking how they
indicate whether an e-mail has been read or not (this is different for
different mailers) but how to they find out whether each e-mail in the
folder should be classified as unread or read.

This may well depend on format (MH or mbox or the like) but I still wonder
how this is settled.

Thanks and best wishes!

If I understand correctly what you are asking, then the answer is that each
email reader keeps an internal record of whether you have viewed the emails.

You can verify this by running two separate mail readers pointing at the same
mail directory ... each reader will show the emails as read/unread depending
on whether you have seen the email in that particular reader.
--
Tony Dietrich

That's not entirely correct. If you use Courier IMAP then the message file is actually renamed.

Thomas