Re: geeky question on read/unread mail

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 07:20, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob Chiodini writes:
>
> > Thunderbird.  However; opening unread emails in Thunderbird (on Windows)
> > does not mark the emails as read in evolution.  Is this a bug (evolution
> > or thunderbird)?  Doesn't IMAP provide the read/unread status through
> > the seen_db?
>
> There's no such thing as "seen_db" in IMAP.  There is, however, a \Seen flag
> that indicates whether the message was read.
>
> It's possible that Evolution shows a message as unread if it never seen the
> messag before, and it ignores the \Seen flag.   That would be a bug in
> Evolution.

Sam,

Sorry about my vagueness:  It looks like seen_db is part of the Cyrus
IMAP implementation (added in 2.0).

>From /var/log/maillog:

Jan  3 07:28:00 littlenail imap[18262]: seen_db: user bob opened /var/lib/imap/user/b/bob.seen

It gets opened each time the client connects and maybe keeps track of
the \Seen flag.

I'll do some more testing to try and narrow down who's doing what to
who.

Bob...