Re: Problem starting iptables on FC3

fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

When I try to start iptables it simply fails with no errors and nothing in /var/log/messages. If I try to load it after running the (fwbuilder generated) script it starts and the stops immediately.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables script assumes that your firewall setup is in /etc/sysconfig/iptables. If you are using Firewall Builder (I do and highly recommend it for all but the simplest setups), its script is self contained: it first resets iptables and then installs the settings you specified in fwbuilder. If you type "/sbin/service iptables start" after running your fwbuilder script, it will (probably) screw things up as it will try to add the setup in /etc/sysconfig on top of the fwbuilder settings. "/sbin/service iptables stop" is still useful even if you're using fwbuilder, as it will in effect turn off the firewall by resetting everything to its defaults.