success with Firefox 1.0 and Java

Perhaps some other newbie running Fedora 3 can benefit from this
summary:

I've been trying to get the Java runtime environment to work with
Firefox 1.0.  This is the version that comes with Fedora 3 -- it's from
the package firefox-1.0-2.fc3 and its files are in /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.

After much fiddling with this, I ended up two versions of the Java
runtime environment installed in directories /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06
and /usr/java/jrel.5.0.  I wanted to use the latter, more recent version
5.0 with Firefox.

I went to the directory /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7 where I found
only the file libjavaplugin_oji.so.  Then, as superuser, I created a
link in the /usr/lib/firefox-1.0 directory: ln -sf
libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so.
Executing ls, the link libjavaplugin_oji.so should appear in blue -- if
it appears in red and flashes this means the link has not been
established successfully.

Firefox doesn't telegraph the news that its java plugin has been
successfully installed.  A good place to go to test this is
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp -- if you can see the
dancing Duke logoâ image animated in the applet, then the JRE is
functioning correctly.

The main thing I've learned from all this is that unix will be merciless
when a user confuses the letter "l" and the number "1".

Thanks for everybody's help -- and happy new year!

Jerry