Re: host name in fc

Kam Leo wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:14:22 +0100, Danesh Daroui <Danesh.D@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kam Leo wrote:

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:35:25 -0500, Peter Arremann <loony@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Saturday 01 January 2005 16:22, Danesh Daroui wrote:

I did change host name in system-config-network, but it is not still in
routers clients list and host name for my fedora machine is still blank,
is it important at all ?
Yeah, samba is installed in my LAN.

I don't see if you already answered the question, but are you using the router
as your dhcp and dns server right?
Windows automatically updates a dns server if set through dhcp with the name
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q228803/) in such a configuration. Look at
the manpage of dhclient.conf - especially the DYNAMIC DNS section... that
setups the same in Linux.

Peter.

Check the Fedora-List archive for December 28 and this subject "How to
reach a computer by hostname on a LAN?".   It pretty much covers DHCP
settings for a NIC or wireless interface.

Yes I will. Thank you for the tip.

You are welcome.  If that does not help come on back.  Happy New Year!

Hi again,

FYI, those letters didn't help, because they didn't reach the answer at the end. There are some solutions but they didn't work for me either. Also, I don't think my router is a DNS server too. It is just a DHCP server and not DNS. So, the case is still open for any help...

Thanks,

Danesh