Re: yum horror

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 20:55 +0100, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:

> >Can you provide an example of troubles in apt land? The only one known
> >to me is yum itself.
> >

> Oh yeah.... I just tried to update 'smart' using apt-get ... This is but
> a very very very very very short glimpse of what happened .. *LOL*
>
> file /etc/apt/apt.conf from install of
> atrpms-package-config-91-1.rhfc3.at conflicts with file from package
> apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf
>
> file /etc/apt/preferences from install of
> atrpms-package-config-91-1.rhfc3.at conflicts with file from package
> apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf
>
> file /etc/apt/rpmpriorities from install of
> atrpms-package-config-91-1.rhfc3.at conflicts with file from package
> apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf
>
> file /etc/apt/vendors.list from install of
> atrpms-package-config-91-1.rhfc3.at conflicts with file from package
> apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf
>
> REMEMBER: This is just the first few problems when using apt-get and
> .at-packages... I didn't want to use to much of your bandwidth listing
> everysingle issue... but you do get picture, right? There are many
> conflicts but these were the first conflicts with apt-get ... there were
> many more with many other packages...
>
> In smart this can be solved... but yum and apt-get do not like
> .at-packages as I've just proved (at least not on my machine).
>
> All theses errors came up when trying to update smart using apt-get.
> Now, that's what I call a "too strongly flavoured soup" - unless the
> intention is to break all spoons :P
>
> /Kristian Poul Herkild
>
> . o O ( I'm gonna downgrade first thing in the new year - which is about
> 3 hours from now in Denmark )

    This is the typical progression; Axel creates packages that become
incompatible with everyone else, but you don't see it until you GET
something from somewhere else.  Using his packages alone is just fine.

    Someone complains.

    Axel claims there's nothing wrong with his setup.

    2-3 people come outta the woods with detailed examples of what's
wrong.

    He seems to get quiet, but doesn't change anything.

    Peace again resumes.

    I spent many nights hacking on the problem, and the result to me was
to just not use his packages.  Since that time, I've not had any such
problems, even with the supposedly-ill yum, and all is fine.

    People that I see as incredibly gifted at understanding RPM have
told him specific details of the problem, and they've not been mean
about it....and he could fix these priority things, but this is the way
he likes it.  I'm almost to the point of thinking he actually _likes_
being the part of the world that's being talked about.  Axel Thimm is
just one of his...names?  Personalities?  I don't really want to know
why he uses three different names- I just walked away from the whole
mess.  Which is why you saw me illuminate the problem and then just clam
up.  Otherwise the cycle begins again.

    If you're having trouble with yum on that machine, just remove those
packages with --nodeps then replace them from another repo.  I can
source you a very sucessful set of repos; I don't like anything beta or
'almost ready' but I do like things newer than directly from Fedora;
life's too short to spend it all at the terminal, ya know?

    Hey- I've got a backup copy of those files; I'll just include them,
here.  Take a peek at'em; make sure you agree with their philosophy
before you 'yum update' and let me know how it goes for ya.

    Enjoy!
Brian FahrlÃnder                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller