Re: Network Printer - Help too please

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 05:46:21PM -0800, tonydm wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I too have a network printer problem.  I cannot seem to get a printer
> configured and work.  All of my windoze boxes print to the print server
> fine.  Before taking FC3 for a test drive, I had Mandrake 10 installed.
>  Configured a printer no problem.  Was printing in minutes.
>
> Intel NetportExpress 10/100 - ip 172.16.0.100
> HP Laserjet 4000
>
> 1) what to I need to enable (protocol) on the print server?
> 2) what kind of network printer type (CUPS-IPP, UNIX-LPD, WINDOWS-SMB,
> etc), do I need to setup?
> 3) can I use the default hplj4000 postscript driver?  The screen says
> "recommended"
>
> thanks
>
> tonydm
Well that depends/ You seem to be saying that you have a print server
that is actually doing the printing. You want to set up a machine so
it will print to the hplj4000 through this server. Our experience is
that one way is to choose UNIX-LPD printing. Make the queue name the
name of the queue on the server. As to driver don't choose the
specific printer but use the Postscript option on the Generic printer
list.

An office party is not, as is sometimes supposed the Managing Director's
chance to kiss the tea-girl.  It is the tea-girl's chance to kiss the
Managing Director (however bizarre an ambition this may seem to anyone
who has seen the Managing Director face on).
		-- Katherine Whitehorn, "Roundabout"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University