newbie installation

hi i am a newbie and i wanted to install fedora core 3
on my dell - 128 Mb RAM, pentium III, 20 gig hardrive,
with win me currently installed on it. i don't want to
keep windows on it. do i format the hardrive before i
install fedora? how do i format? what size should the
partitions be? i saw on list that someone recommended
making a separate partition for a future os or distro,
room for swap space, and room for the general area of
the hardrive. is this true? how much space should be
in each?
thanks alot!
-david