Gnome-panel advanced configuration?

I've just installed FC3 (up2date) on two independent machines. Both use
Gnome and have a bottom panel which is not "expanded" but has the "show
hide buttons" (Greetings to you OSXs...)
On one machine, when I "hide" the panel through its button, it also
moves down (out of the visible screen space) by almost 50%. On the other
machine, it doesn't move down at all!

I really like this little detail, how do I control this, Ie how do I
enable the stubborn panel to move down as well?

Tnx,
HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo@xxxxxxxx>