Re: How do I move an account... A few more details

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 23:32, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 12:21 am, Don wrote:
> > How do I move there directories and preserve their owner ship?  I have
> > about 30 accounts on another machine.
>
> If you use tar to backup the directories, permissions and ownerships are
> going to be retained (assuming you have same user accounts on the other
> system).
>
> man tar
>
> HTH,
> Jorge

Hehe - the little more verbose answer:

if you copy the entries from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and then make sure
that the group files match up (execute "id <username>" on the old system,
make an entry for all new groups and add the users to existing groups - if it
was a simple setup, you should only have to copy the lines for the individual
user's groups)

If you do that, then all the user names and numerical id's will be the same -
that way you don't really have to worry about too much. You can use "tar" on
one system, ftp the tar archive over and then untar on the other side. Or (as
I prefer it if I have both boxes available at the same time) run rsync
between the systems - works very efficient and without issues. Use tar if you
want easy and do it one time, figure out rsync if you need to do this more
often or just want to learn a new cool command :-)

Of course there are tons of other ways to copy between boxes but that should
get the job done for you...

Peter.