Re: How do I move an account... A few more details

Peter and David,
Thanks for the info.  There are a few more things:

How do I move there directories and preserve their owner ship? I have about 30 accounts on another machine.

This info is really appreciated
Don

At 07:43 PM 12/28/2004, you wrote:
On Tuesday 28 December 2004 22:33, David Limon Romero wrote:
> El Mar 28 Dic 2004 7:33 PM, Don escribió:
> > Hi,
> > How do I move a persons account from RH 7.2 to FC3.  I need to preserve
> > the password and email account.
>
> Don
>
> Just copy /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd from the RH7.2 to the new FC3.
>
> That's what I do and works fine.
>
> David

David,

I hope you meant copy the lines for the user account
from /etc/shadow, /etc/passwd and the entries from /etc/group rather than the
whole file... The system accounts and so on are different depending on the
installed software and copying the whole file can cause havoc...

Peter.