Re: OT Linux laptop

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 21:45 -0600, Paul wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 10:57 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Globe Trotter wrote:
> >
> > > Walmart sells their employees, too! For under $5 an hour (when
> > > averaged over the time they have to spend unpaid and locked in) and
> > > no benefits. So, they show up in your city's ER and your local taxes
> > > go up....
> >
> >   i didn't want to wander into the political arena here, but there is
> > one extra piece of information i wanted to add.  (and, yes, this has
> > relevance to laptops.)
> >
> >   a while back, a friend told me that one of the ways wal-mart can
> > keep prices so low (and also even keep *lowering* them year after
> > year) is that, when they sign a contract with a supplier, that
> > contract typically states that what wal-mart will pay the supplier per
> > unit will *drop* each year.  so, you the supplier, will get $1.50 per
> > unit the first year, but only $1.35 the second year, and $1.25 the
> > third year.  how you choose to cut costs year after year to remain
> > profitable is *your* problem.  if you don't accept such onerous terms,
> > wal-mart just moves on to another supplier.
>
> Same thing in the auto industry ... I work for an automotive parts
> supplier and the big three tend to want 7% or more cost reductions each
> year.  The first couple years are good, but by the end of the program
> you typically not making any money and hoping for the next new program
> so that you can start making money again.
>
> Being a supplier to any large company where they are your primary source
> of income leaves you more vulnerable than the large corp.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

OK now that we're completely off topic, I couldn't help myself.  My 2
cents:  Never let one company control 25% of your business.

After my last business trip to China, out of guilt I guess.  I set up a
page for a song written by my Brother-in-law.  There are links at the
bottom of the page if you want to give some large US companies a hard
time.

Ask questions, have fun :-)  http://www.tmpco.com/immortals.html

Tim...

--