How to restore /dev/ttyUSB1?

After reading some related posts and docs regarding the
the infamous udev situation, I still cannot get a fully
functional ttyUSB1 device file working for my Tungsten.
Here's what I've tried which hasn't worked:

1. Upgraded to kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3.

2. I added this line to /etc/udev/udev.rules and ran udevstart,
   and also tried rebooting:

   KERNEL="ttyUSB1", NAME="visor"

3. I tried copying the ttyUSB* files from another system
   to /dev and also /etc/udev/devices.

4. I manually created ttyUSB1 using:

  mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 0

After number 4, I was at least able to establish a connection
with the PDA, however, during 8 attempts, the connection was
lost each time.  Any other suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.