Re: new to fedora

T.Q. Publications wrote:
i have just overwritten my windows xp (computer was overtaken by a hacker) with fedora core 2 (unleased by ball and duff) I have no clue how to use linux. Where do I start? I figured as former C++ and VB programmer, i should be able to handle this but i must humbly ask where do i get the BASICS so that I can understand what is going on and how to "hit the ground running". I got my software from the book RED HAT FEDORA2 unleased by ball and duff (sams publishing) but the book is definitely not for beginners. Anyone know of a book that is recommended. A to the point book of commands, what they do and where files go, and what in the world is going on.. Thanks
signed... a true beginner-i need the very basics

sorry to hear about your ordeal, but welcome to the real world all the same. The best advice I can give you as a seasoned Linux user is to break something, and have to fix it yourself. Remember this... in fact, right it on a sticky note and attach it to your monitor:

	Google is my fiend and if I can't find it
        on Google it doesn't exist.

I was surfing around this afternoon looking for good information sources on Fedora Core and found out that there are a ton of forums popping up all over the place for Fedora Core. ( I'm a Linux Mandrake user who just got sick of the way Mandrake has been handling my hardware - or rather "not" handling things correctly. )

Anyway, most of Fedora is Linux with a different skin on it, while there are yet a few things that are distribution specific and thats the fun of getting to know a new distribution.

I'll list a few URL's that are likely to yeild lots and lots of good useful information for new folks.

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/

http://linuxhelp.ca/distributions/

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=Linux+forums+Fedora+Core+3

And of course there is this list, which i've found to be very active and quite helpful. Folks here are quick to respond with good information.

Enjoy,

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."