new to fedora

i have just overwritten my windows xp (computer was overtaken by a hacker) with fedora core 2 (unleased by ball and duff) I have no clue how to use linux. Where do I start? I figured as former C++ and VB programmer, i should be able to handle this but i must humbly ask where do i get the BASICS so that I can understand what is going on and how to "hit the ground running". I got my software from the book RED HAT FEDORA2 unleased by ball and duff (sams publishing) but the book is definitely not for beginners. Anyone know of a book that is recommended. A  to the point book of commands, what they do and where files go, and what in the world is going on.. Thanks
signed... a true beginner-i need the very basics

~~ A free child advocacy publication for girls 12-18.~~