RE: Re-installing GRUB on FC3

This is my $0.02 so take it for what it is.

I had the same problem with multi-boot configuration and
thanks to others for leading me the way.  Here is what
I found and it fixed my problems.

First -- the basics seems to be:

Your hardware configuration should be:

IDE0 - Primary/master  - hard disk #1 = /dev/hda (boot drive - required)
IDE0 - Secondary/slave - hard disk #2 = /dev/hdb
IDE1 - Primary/master  - CDROM/DVD #1 = /dev/hdc (cdrom - required if
used)
IDE1 - Secondary/slave - ?            = /dev/hdd

I have tried before all sorts of other combinations and it wreaked
havoc with the fedora installation, at least this is what it did
to me.  Note that for windows OS, it does not matter as to where
the boot hard disk is installed as long as it is a primary/master
either on IDE0 or IDE1 and the cdrom/dvd can be anywhere else but
for fedora -- apparently it DOES matter.  I note that if the cdrom
for fedora was on /dev/hdd -- fedora complains with a interrupt problem
and spits a message to the message file very often so when I put
the cdrom on /dev/hdc -- it "shut up"!

Once you get your hardware configuration right and your devices
are "fedora approved", you can reinstall grub with

1) Insert your fedora boot cd
2) Run 'linux rescue'
3) Do 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' stage when asked
4) grub-install /dev/hda  (NOT /dev/hdaX where X are paritions)
5) remove CDROM
6) type exit twice (it will reboot)

then grub should come up.

Hope this helps,