Re: hard drive problems

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 23:24, Nathaniel Alderson wrote:
> I am having problems with my hard rive and would appreciate any
> assistance troubleshooting.  I am running the 64 bit version of FC2 with
> an AMD Athalon with
> a IDE hard drive.
>
> The problem is occasionally I have to reboot the machine because I/O
> with the hard rive stops working. I have seen a couple different error
> messages, but can't remember them verbatim. I will copy them down next
> time I see them. When I reboot everything seems to be O.K.
>
> The problem manifests itself most often when I am doing I/O intensive
> things like downloading/installing updates but has occurred when at
> other times as well.
>
> Any pointers on how to track down the problem would be appreciated.
>
> Nate

Nate,

/var/log/messages and dmesg are your friends.  Most errors are logged in
/var/log/messages and the logs are rotated periodically, saving several
iterations.  If the disk errors have occurred recently they should be in
one of those logs.

Find the last error(s) and post them.  Someone should be able to help.
As an interim try running smartctl.  The man page will help to determine
the proper options.

Bob...