Re: Which is my USB device?

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
Gustavo Seabra wrote:

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

I installed FC3 on my laptop and it has one USB port.  I plugged in my
digicam in that USB port and I want to mount it as a USB file system.  The
problem is that I don't know which device the USB port is associated with.
On my home computer, it is /dev/sdx, but I don't see those options in
/dev/ on my laptop.

That leads me to a general Linux question.  How are devices assigned?  One
of my computers assigned /dev/sdx to everything, hard drives, optical
drives, USB ports, etc.  Another computer assigned /dev/hdx to my hard
drives and optical drives, but /dev/sdx to my USB ports.

I also have a KDE question.  Is there anyway to automatically mount my
camera as a USB file system when it is plugged into my laptop?  Is there a
way to detect that it is a camera?  I don't want to mount *every* USB
thing plugged into my laptop as a USB filesystem...

Thanks for the help.

Take a look at 'man fstab-sync'. There you'll find instructions of how to define a *.fdi file and put it into /usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy/ so that it will recognize your devices practically anyway you want it.

   In my case, I have a camera and a usbstick. The usbstick was being
recognized with a weird name, and the camera as 'usbstick'. Both
appeared in /media when inserted, then I just had to mount them. To have
them appearing with the right names, I made a fdi file for each
(camera.fdi & usbstick.fdi) that redefined the names of each. Now, using
KDE, I could put an icon in my desktop for each of these. When I
double-click the icon, it automatically mounts the device (assuming it's
connected, of course) and opens Konqueror with it.

Cool thanks for the pointer.  I'm actually on vacation right now and just
want to get some videos off my digicam...I don't really have time to figure
out this fstab-sync stuff.  I just need to know which device the dang USB
port shows up as in /dev/...any ideas?  =/

Thanks again.

Normally, I just take a look at the end of /var/log/messages after plugging in the device and it says something like "blah, blah, blah /dev/sde1". Should be pretty easy to spot.

But I just tried it and all I got was a bunch of errors, looks like something has broken my USB again, crap :(

John