Which is my USB device?

I installed FC3 on my laptop and it has one USB port.  I plugged in my
digicam in that USB port and I want to mount it as a USB file system.  The
problem is that I don't know which device the USB port is associated with.
On my home computer, it is /dev/sdx, but I don't see those options in /dev/
on my laptop.

That leads me to a general Linux question.  How are devices assigned?  One
of my computers assigned /dev/sdx to everything, hard drives, optical
drives, USB ports, etc.  Another computer assigned /dev/hdx to my hard
drives and optical drives, but /dev/sdx to my USB ports.

I also have a KDE question.  Is there anyway to automatically mount my
camera as a USB file system when it is plugged into my laptop?  Is there a
way to detect that it is a camera?  I don't want to mount *every* USB thing
plugged into my laptop as a USB filesystem...

Thanks for the help.