Re: Fedora vs Tao vs CentOs as servers

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 23:49, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:47:17PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I'm looking more towards the limited life_span of FC compared to it's
> > RHEL counterpart. (which is where tao linux/CentOs etc... comes into the
> > picture)
> >
> > I'm getting a bit flustered with the term "legacy" where a normal FC
> > life-span is only like 18 months before the "legacy" becomes obsolete (I
> > think, correct me)
> >
> > Now, I can always roll my own rpms based on source packages as it _is_
> > faster than the mirrors can come out with updated ones. But that's
> > another story. (If I had a better/beefier box, I'll just run Gentoo on
> > it, but since this is a P133 w/ 128MB Ram, Its more like.. Tough Luck.)
> >
> Given that we're still running 6.1 and 6.2 in production, it's obvious
> how much we like to do upgrades.

Well, as I mentioned, one can always roll your own RPMS, but backporting
fixes are the stuffs which I still have (yet) to learn. How do you cope
then?

> Given that you have older (legacy :-)) hardware, you're not looking for
> cutting-edge software, most of which is less efficient than earlier
> releases, especially on the desktop front.

Correct. I don't necessary want the latest and greatest. Only the
stability.

> I found Tao to be as stable as RHEL and the updates no more than a day
> behind Red Hat's releases.  If I did not want any support at all, I
> would not hesitate to run Tao in production.

Though support would be nice, its expensive for a small shop with
limited IT budget. Which is why I ask the question in the 1st place.

> The only significant advantage to Fedora over RHEL is the ability to run
> new software.  If this is not important to you, then run RHEL or Tao (or
> one of the other RHEL rebuilds).
It's Not. Servers don't need to have full blown Gnome 2.9 or KDE 4.0
(hehe) Maybe just xfce or fluxbox if needed.

Well, I've heard of WBEL being lagging somewhat nowadays.

> My personal opinion is that for servers, stick with RHEL or Tao.  For
> desktops that want stable software, ditto.  For desktops that want the
> latest and greatest tools, Fedora might be good for you.

I agree with you on that.
Actually the other alternative would be to run Gentoo. (that's what I
use on my laptop) and a myriad of RH/FCs on some servers. But as the
days count down, I tend to get worried.

That and Gotta Go learn *BSD.

--
Ow Mun Heng