Re: Canon USB printer [SOLVED]

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:11:06 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:37:50 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote
[snip]

To get rid of that logo I must purchase a license key, which is about US$30.00 for personal use. That's why I love open source so much...

Anyway, the Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic + bjc800) is working fine, so I'll just keep it. It may be possible to edit the configuration in the /etc/cups/ppd/<my_printer>.ppd file to get the margins perfect,
but I don't think I'll mess with that for now.

You only need to do that once. Plus there are other features which you

don't

get with the standard Cups drivers. Such as Ink Low indication, nozzle
cleanning, the handling of different types of paper etc.. Just like you

get

with the Windows drivers. So for $30 it's worth it.

Wolf

All those features are good to have, but the printing quality is still more important. For some reason, the CUPS drivers get a better quality, so I'm not yet fully convinced that the $30 is a good investment.

I use the TurboPrint drivers (Which runs under Cups) to drive my two Canon S830D & BJC-3000 printers (It also supports some HP & Epson printers). And I find that they are way better than the standard Cups drivers. It's better than the standard Cups drivers, in that the page alignment is better (Way more accurate), Print quality is better, and it prints faster. Plus, I can print photo's without borders (Which in the case of the S830D is designed to do), where the Cups drivers don't support this. SO, for me, the $30 is worth it. The free demo version is mainly intended for try before you buy, type setup. I've been using these drivers for approx 3 years now, and I'm happy with them. So if they aren't free, it's no big deal for me. I'd prefer to pay a small amount to get the FULL use out of my $850 printer (The S830D that is).

Wolf

I agree with you. If I had purchased an $850 printer, I'd want full functionality, and I'd be willing to pay $30 for it. In my case, however, I'd be paying half the price of the printer just for a driver, when I can use a free driver that does 80% of the pay one. Photo printing isn't really important for me, I'd rather pay $0.24 in Wal Mart for prints when I need them, which is rare.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University