Re: Updating FD3 to fix bootloader makes no sense!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:20:33 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am trying to get Multi-boot configurations going and
> since I have not had much luck so far because grub
> hangs off the MBR, I ended up doing this:
>
> HD layout: w98se, w2000Svr, FD3, Ext(rest)
>
> 1) linux rescue
> - ran grub-install /dev/hdb3, rebooted, and it still hangs

Yeah, you haven't done anything to the MBR at this point, only
installed grub to the partition.  With this configuration, you still
need something in the MBR to tell the system to boot to the third
partition.  You want to install grub to the MBR.  But this brings up
an interesting question: why is this harddisk /dev/hdb?  Is there an
hda disk?  Are you sure your system is trying to boot from this disk
(/dev/hdb)?

> 2) Restored MBR to win89
> - Booted FD3 cd
> - selected update
> - selected grub for "install grub in parition" and not in MBR
> - Installation proceeded until the very end saying in effect:
> "Cannot install bootloader (grub) since no kernel is installed"
> *** Say what?  THIS MAKES NO SENSE!  - So I guess you CANNOT
> restore grub if you change the MBR???  cripe!

I don't quite follow this.  It seems the tool you were trying to use
to install grub didn't understand what you were trying to do.  It was
probably trying to set up /etc/grub.conf too and got confused.  Of
course you can reinstall grub, just not like this, apparently.  The
method with the rescue disk is the way to go.

> 3) Tried another pathway:
> - Booted FD3 cd
> - selected "fresh install"
> - wipe-out the FD3-parition (i.e. format)
> - install everything FRESH (yet once again!!) w/ grub installed in MBR
> (i.e. ./dev/hdb)
> - complete installation, reboot
> - back to grub hang...

Can you explain what you mean by "hang"?  Does grub not load to a
menu?  Do you see the word GRUB at the top of your screen?  Perhaps
your system is trying to boot off of another drive, and so all your
work isn't doing anything useful.  Some more system info would be
useful.  Hard disks, types of disks (PATA or SATA or SCSI), BIOS
options of what devices to boot from.  If you have your only hard disk
as /dev/hdb, I'm not sure how that is going to work.  hdb is normally
the slave on the first IDE controller, and your hd should be a master
or stand-alone.  You might have to change a jumper or connector (if
using cable select (CS)).

> So -- the whole installation is circular.
>
> Ok...  I DID read all the FAQ, searched GOOGLE for MP-boot and
> nothing I found was of help or value.  Sheesh.  Anyone have
> any pointers, please?

What is the "MP-boot"?  A typo?  You haven't mentioned anything about
multiple processors.

> NOTE:  I have installed MB before w/ FD2 and *somehow* I got it to work
> but it was a REAL CHORE (a teeth puller experience) but I cannot recall
> how to do it again!!!

Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.  If you have normal IDE drives
and everything is connected correctly, should be very straight
forward.  Of course, if you are having problems with grub loading at
all, could be a hard disk problem.  Hopefully this is not the case
(and it probably isn't).  Can you redo the MBR to the Windows loader
and boot Win98?  Perhaps you should try this first and make sure you
are changing the MBR that matters.

> Kind regards,
> Dan

Hope this helps.  I've done a lot of grub multi-boot setups and it has
worked well for me.  Get me some more info and we'll keep attacking
this.
Jonathan