Re: Triggering the website to send Spam

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

For goodness sake do not open HTML rich spam.  They hide a little
image that you cannot see.  That hidden URL validates your address
and that you 'looked'.

That's interesting... I've never heard about it before. Where can we learn more about this?

YOU WILL DOUBLE or TRIPPLE your incoming spam if you look even !ONCE!,
at this type of html junk mail. Use a text only view of mail for all
messages. Use your HTML tools for messages from trusted senders.

Does just disabling images in email work to stop this?

I have noted that some of the posters here (unknowingly I believe)
post from accounts that tag a hidden tracking image/URL in all mail.
It is hidden in the signature of all their Multi-part MIME messages,
even when they send text in the body.

Is there any way to see this in thunderbird, for example? Or is it something you can only notice with a text-only program?

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University