Re: [fedora] Re: Mono??

Isn't there a RedCarpet channel for Mono? That's ho I got it running on FC1...

-Pete

Mark Eggers wrote:
On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 19:47 -0500, Jim wrote:

anyone had the chance or does use Mono?  I've been developing
applications for windows for a few years,  but been a little skiddish
tackling linux   applications     My promary back groung is C# & VB

I've started to experiment with Mono on Fedora Core 3.  Right now I have
1.0.4 running, and I'm looking to get 1.0.5 up soon.

There are no RPMs that I am aware of, so I built it from source.  I hope
to write up a bare bones compile and installation document later on
today.

I won't have any documentation on actually using MonoDevelop or Glade,
but the Mono web site has some tutorials available.  I'll try to put
that into my document as well.

There are some "tricks" in getting everything working.  This includes
getting the correct development RPMs installed, as well as getting some
additional source tarballs and patches installed.  It's not too ugly,
but it could be cleaner.

The Mono newsgroups have not been very helpful either.

Once you get things installed, you'll find that there really is no VB
yet.  VB is in a pre-release state, so it's best to stick with C#.  I've
written a very few "hello world" applications in C# (standalone and
ASP.NET), and they seem to work.  I've not explored larger projects, nor
have I tackled an interface built with Glade.

I come from a C/C++/Java/Perl background under
Windows/Macintosh/UNIX/MVS.  In other words, I am just about at the
opposite end of the spectrum from you.

More to come when I get this quick document written.

----- /mde/ just my two cents . . . .