Re: DNS Question

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 15:14 -0600, Nathaniel Hall wrote:
> Our DNS resolves domain.com.  I have system1.domain.com correctly
> resolving using the DMZ DNS.
> The ISP DNS also resolves system1.domain.com for users outside the
> firewalls.  In addition to system1, system2.domain.com resolves on the
> ISP DNS from the outside.
>
> If I am on the inside and try to resolve system2.domain.com, it doesn't
> get resolved because it is not setup in the DMZ DNS.  I want to be able
> to resolve system2.domain.com by passing the query from the DMZ DNS to
> the ISP DNS.
>
> I know it is confusing.  If there are any questions, let me know.

It's not confusing at all. I just wonder why. We use our ISP for domain
dns so that they provide a reverse email pointer. However, we run bind
(named) as a caching name server on the LAN. We have a tqmcube zone
defined so that clients can set up dns to, well, "dns" outgoing mail to
"smtp" a proxy to "squid," etc. There's no conflict.

The advantage is faster resolution on the WAN with simplicity on the LAN
(no HOSTS required).
Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
http://www.TQMcube.com