Re: Second Request: Changing default apps

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:31:36AM -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> I'm wondering how Evolution and FireFox got so tightly tied into the O/S, and
> how the hades do I change the default mail/web-browser bindings from
> Evolution/Firefox to Mozilla and KMail?
>
> Can someone please point me to a "switchdesk" type app which will
> automagically reconfigure MY personal settings to use KMail instead of
> Evolution for all email and Mozilla instead of FireFox?

man switchdesk
/usr/bin/switchdesk   <Desktop of choice>

> C'mon, I'm not exactly a N00bie here... I've been running RedHat for the past
But you posted in, in, in.... that dreaded markup language!
(I know - its evolution's fault! :-) )

> So, please... someone tell me how to reconfigure FC3 to use KMail for MY
> default mail client and Mozilla for my default HMTL viewer?
Just start using kmail (select from menu after logging out and back in
so new desktop can come up.)

Same for Moz.

As for setting how different apps select to launch a particular mailer
or broswer, You'll have to dig that out ofthe respective Gnome or KDE
docs.

> Thanks.
> --

Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/
http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoratracker.org http://www.fedorafaq.org
http://www.fedoranews.org