Re: Can't boot New Installation. (2nd Post )

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 11:04 +0800, Kevin wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have met the same trouble. It is because that FC3 automatically
> mounts your ext3 partition at position /1, not / . So, GRUB can not

Not quite true.
Linux creates a /1 labeled partition when you already have a partition
labeled as / on that machine at the time you do the install (dual boot
install, or just with partitions you do not want to overwrite that are
already labeled).  It also does the same for /boot (/boot1) and any
other partition label that already exists on another location.

However, if you already have an installation and you do a new overwrite
install using the same partitions it will happily use the original /
label for the new install.

> continue with stage2. This always occurs when you install FC3 on
> existing / volume. Just install it again and mount the partition at /
> instead of /1 , it works.

I have never had a problem with the installer and labeling.  The fstab
created for mounting partitions is exactly as the newly labeled
partitions are named.

I have installed numerous times, both with a single installation and
with multi-boot configurations.