Re: Apache and multiple Virtual Hosts best practices

Sorry, I am still stuck with point 3. suphp seems to work with PHP as CGI (a problem which suexec also solves). But since my PHP is a module (or filter in Apache2), suphp doesn't help. PHP scripts can't write in the user's directories.

So, I need help with current topic, too :-)

Timothy.

Timothy Ha wrote:

Virtual hosting user may want to write to their directories, I think.

Recently I stumbled with making up a relatively secure Apache virtual hosting installation. This is my solution to this moment:

1) users are Unix users at my server, they have FTP locked up in their home directories (ProFTPd has this option)
2) Apache httpd service runs with apache uid/gid. apache is member of each user's personal group, so the website is functioning
3) for scripts like PHP to write in user directories, I use suphp module (www.suphp.org) that runs php scripts with their owner's rights. So even if users know about other logins, they cannot just fopen("/home/otheruser/index.php", "r") to read something, because their script doesn't have the right.
4) for CGI scripts (Perl and other stuff), one can use suexec (one of my recent topics here), but I don't have CGI that write in directories, so I don't care.

If anyone has a better solution, please write. I would be glad to know.

Timothy