Re: Providing host names via private IP addresses / DHCP

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 00:43 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I have the DHCP setup
> to provide different blocks of IPs to each room off each port,
> 192.168.1.x thru 192.168.8.x, but the systems don't get host names.
> The IPtables configuration provides web access, and even the FTP
> with the ip_tables entries, but not the host name.

It is actually very simple, you'll be happy to know. All you need is a
DNS server application on that box, providing forward and reverse
resolution for those address pools. I do the exact same thing with five
interfaces on a smaller box and it works perfectly.

I do not have access (or time) right now to post lots of details, but if
you have any problems post again and I'll make sure to include copies of
the zone files as well as named.conf snippets.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>