Re: Providing host names via private IP addresses / DHCP

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
I've got a machine currently running Fedora Core 1, and over the semester break I want upgrade it to FC3, and also get the machine to provide hostnames. Currenlty the machine has 9 ethernet ports, one connected to the college backbone, and the other 8 planned to go to 8 computer labs of 20 computer each. I have the DHCP setup to provide different blocks of IPs to each room off each port, 192.168.1.x thru 192.168.8.x, but the systems don't get host names. The IPtables configuration provides web access, and even the FTP with the ip_tables entries, but not the host name. I am just looking to get the machines to have names like host1-100 or similar. Right now, the labs connect directly to the backbone with no firewall, and get names like host73-196.guamcc.net.

My primary lab currently has multi-boot machines with 98/XP/FC2 or FC3, currently 12 with FC3 and 8 with FC2.

Set up your nameserver to handle reverse DNS for the IP addresses in your DCHP pool.

e.g.:

named.conf snippet for rDNS for 10.1.2.*:

zone "2.1.10.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "master/2.1.10.in-addr.arpa";
        allow-update { none; };
};

File master/2.1.10.in-addr.arpa:

$ORIGIN 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
$TTL 86400 ; Default TTL for this zone (1 day)
@               IN      SOA     ns1.internal.example.com. you.example.com. (
                                2004121601      ; serial
                                1H              ; refresh
                                5M              ; retry
                                2W              ; expiry
                                4H )            ; minimum TTL

                        NS      ns1.internal.example.com.
                        NS      ns2.internal.example.com.

$GENERATE 0-255	$	PTR	10-1-2-$.dhcp.example.com.

You probably want a forward zone to go with these entries:

zone "dhcp.example.com" IN {
	type master;
	file "master/dhcp.example.com";
	allow-update { none; };
};

File master/dhcp.example.com:

$ORIGIN dhcp.example.com.
$TTL 86400 ; Default TTL for this zone (1 day)

@               IN      SOA     ns1.internal.example.com. you.example.com. (
                                2004121601      ; serial
                                1H              ; refresh
                                5M              ; retry