Re: Why the switch from TightVNC to RealVNC?

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 06:21:01PM -0500, Leonard Isham wrote:

> Is this just the daemon or is the tightvnc viewer a problem as well?

The viewer is indeed a standalone program, and does not need to be
compiled against an X tree.  However, if you you a TightVNC viewer
against a RealVNC server, or a RealVNC viewer against a TightVNC
server, I think it's true that you won't get as efficient a connection
as if you stick to one source.

TightVNC provides the 'tight' encoding, which RealVNC does not have
support for.  Conversely, RealVNC provides the 'ZRLE' encoding, which
(as far as I know) TightVNC does not have support for.

RealVNC also allows colour-reduction in a different way than TightVNC
(I think I'm right in recalling that TightVNC has a way of doing
this).

Tim.
*/