Re: catalog files on hdd in order to find later on backups

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:38:53PM +0200, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Is there a tool which would catalog files on hdd in order to find later
> on backups? Here's the detail:
> We backup a fileserver on dvds, complete and incremental (with
> mondorescue). We need a web application running on same server and
> accessible to all workstations which would let users search for a file
> and tell which dvd(s) they need for it.
> We can't use a regular cataloging application for CDs, as the info on
> them it's compressed and some it's mondorescue-specific.

ls -lagsR $CATDIRS > ${CATALOGSDIR}/`date +%m.%d.`

where CATDIRS is an environment variable containing the paths to the
directories that will be backed up. (It could be just "/")
and CATALOGSDIR is an environment variable containing the path to the
directory were the catalogs will be held

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"