catalog files on hdd in order to find later on backups

Hi

Is there a tool which would catalog files on hdd in order to find later
on backups? Here's the detail:
We backup a fileserver on dvds, complete and incremental (with
mondorescue). We need a web application running on same server and
accessible to all workstations which would let users search for a file
and tell which dvd(s) they need for it.
We can't use a regular cataloging application for CDs, as the info on
them it's compressed and some it's mondorescue-specific.

Solution: an application would scan every night the fileserver, making a
list of files and sizes. Users will search for a partial filename/path,
they'll get results with sizes and dates on which file was on hdd. From
that and backup policy they'll determine the dvd they need (e.g.
complete backup set from 2004-12-01 and incremental backups until
2004-12-09).

After some googling I couldn't find something like this, so I'll
probably implement our own (will be released under gpl). Any
suggestions/gotchas from your experience before starting?

Thanks,
--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania