Re: FC3 install on Adaptec 2410SA - Adaptec says NO

Samuel Díaz García wrote:

I don't know if this can help you, but it works for me.
My system is a normal Athlon XP 1800 with the same controller as you.
I tried to install FC3 some times, but only the last clean install and booting were when I disabled the "write cache" for the drivers.

My 2410 is PCI64, but I put it in a PCI32 bus and it works well.

I hope this help you. Say us if that.

Salu2

Thanks Samuel, but when I was in the "Desperately try anything" phase I did in fact disable, separately and together, the drives internal cache and the controller's write cache. The message I got from Adaptec suggested that some particular configurations would work, and I'm happy to hear that you found one. I have not found one that works for me.

I've placed an order for a 3ware card. I'm sorry to have to actually. I remember the early days of Usenet when Adaptec technical people participated in relevent news groups and helped a lot of people out. It made me a loyal customer for many years afterwards.

This highlights for me a disturbing trend. With the rise of commercial (and in some cases very expensive) Linux distributions, many hardware manufacturers are officially supporting only commercial distros. I've run across several hardware products recently that included drivers for Redhat Enterprise and Suse, but no other distributions.

Frank.