Re: Kernel Build Question.

Wayne Leutwyler wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

Wayne Leutwyler wrote:

When I build a kernel I normally take the config file for the current fedora kernel, and make the needed changes to it, like turning off 4K stack (for ndiswrapper), EFI GUID (so I can use my ipod) and turning on NTFS support (yes I know there is a rpm for this).

I guess my question is this: Is this a good way of building a kernel? Or would I be better off building my own config file.

Try the HOWTO at:

http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

Paul.

Oh thats cool Paul. Thanks. I have always done it from getting the source for the kernel at kernel.org and then doing the make mrproper, make xconfig, make bzImage, make modules, and then make modules_install. I will take a shot at this the next time I build a kernel.

Is there any thing wrong with the way I do it now?

I'd think the main advantage to using the method outlined in the HOWTO would be that (a) your kernel would be as close to the "stock" Fedora kernel as possible, with all patches and only your changes as differences, and (b) you'll get an RPM to install, which is always better from a system maintenance point of view.

Paul.