Re: Upgrade from FC2 -> FC3 failed

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> No, ACPI fails as the BIOS is too old.

FWIW, acpi=force overrides the age check. There *are* BIOSes from before
2000 that can do ACPI correctly, and rather more that can do them well
enough that Linux can work with them.

This system is an aging dual-processor box, and the only way I've
discovered to get it to auto power down is by adding acpi=force to the
kernel command line.[1]

James.

[1] OK: there are two other ways. I could always run in single processor
mode, in which case APM could shut it down (APM doesn't work for SMP),
or I can "fix" the kernel's age check.

2.6.9 gives you a kernel option for the cut-off date, which simplifies
things.

I am running the last BIOS for this motherboard.

--
E-mail address: james | The sendmail configuration file is one of those
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | files that looks like someone beat their head on