Re: Upgrade from FC2 -> FC3 failed

Am Mo, den 13.12.2004 schrieb Armbrust, Daniel C. um 15:53:

> I just tried to upgrade a FC2 machine to FC3.
>
> Install went fine, but after a reboot - this is all I get:
>

> ACPI: BIOS age (2000) fails cutoff (2001), acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
> audit....bunch of numbers... initialized
> hda: No disk in drive
> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
> mount: error 6 mounting reiserfs
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
> kernel panic.....
>
> This happens if I try to launch with either the SMP kernel, or the single processor kernel.  The machine is an older dual
> processor pc, with scsi disk drives - two of them for linux, 1 still has W2K on it.

I miss information about the SCSI controller in the PC.

> Could the fact that its trying to do something with hda instead of sda have something to do with this?

I doubt. Is IDE disabled in the BIOS? I suspect there are not IDE drives, even CD-ROMs, connected?

> Does that acpi stuff have anything to do with it?  I tried adding the force option to the kernel parameters, but it didn't change anything.

No, ACPI fails as the BIOS is too old.

> Dan

Give more input about the disk layout (fdisk -l) and what the grub
device.map contains. Too boot without "rhgb quiet" boot options. The
initial ramdisk image exists?
You may boot with CD1 into rescue mode to investigate what is missing or
wrong.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:55:49 up 3 days, 12:36, load average: 0.29, 0.43, 0.52